If you're able to help in any way, please complete the form below! We will aim to be in touch as quickly as possible, but please allow at least 7 days to hear from us.
At Hector's House we have a wide variety of volunteering roles available. The charity is 100% volunteer led so we rely on all of the amazing people who give up their free time to help cats in need.
Here's a brief summary of what the roles entail:
- Pen cleaning - this role is absolutely crucial for the cats in our care. As soon as a cat comes in, they're put into outdoor pens at HH HQ and need feeding, socialising, assessing and to be monitored. We feed the cats and clean out the pens twice a day at regular times (morning and evening). In addition to this, as a volunteer you will spend time working with the cats to rebuild their trust in humans through slow introductions to petting, playing and general human familiarisation. This is a hands-on role and involves lifting, cleaning, and working directly with the cats. All training and equipment required to complete the role is provided.
- Admin - due to the varying nature of the charity, there is a lot of administration that goes along with it! From sorting and organising all of the required forms (adoption, home checks, surrender forms), to collating all vet bills for individual cats. In this role you will be responsible for ensuring the traceability and ease-of-access of information.
- Outreach - in this role you will be responding to call-outs from members of the public regarding stray cats, injured cats or deceased cats. This can be hands-on and will be an outward-facing role. It generally consists of providing the public with advice, scanning cats for microchips and/or setting traps for confirmed strays. All training and equipment will be provided. Access to a vehicle is required.
- Maintenance - the pens at HQ are used frequently and as such maintenance is required. This can involve anything from replacing handles, fixing damages or assisting with general improvements.
- Driving - from driving cats to vet appointments, collecting cats from other rescues, assisting with fosterer supply deliveries or collecting donations, if you can drive and are happy to give up some of your time, please get in touch! We have a van which can be driven by anyone with a full UK driver's licence, or you can use your own vehicle (you may need to check the details of your insurance policy).
- Social media/emails/phone calls - every day we receive many social media messages, emails, WhatsApps and phone calls from the public. We try our best to respond as quickly as we can, but there are times when we can't respond as quickly as we'd like to. In this role you will be advising the public about their queries and/or pointing them in the right direction. Full training will be provided to you prior to beginning this role.
- Fundraising - key to enabling us to continue doing what we do is fundraising. We've attended market stalls, held online auctions, created an online fundraising shop, sold Christmas cards and calendars and we also have a band! All of these activities raise much-needed funds for the charity.
- Conducting adoption home-checks - prior to rehoming our cats we conduct a home check with the prospective adopter. This involves meeting the applicant and discussing the adoption with them, including the type of cat they're interested in and their circumstances. This helps us ensure we can appropriately pair a cat with an adopter. We are also hoping to soon introduce follow up checks with successful adopters to ensure the rehoming is going smoothly for all parties. You will be fully trained and will shadow a current home-checker multiple times prior to conducting them yourself. Access to a vehicle is preferred but not essential.